Storytelling, which is an art of expressing one’s experiences through words and images, is an integral part of human life. In ancient times cave paintings were used to tell stories. In the present age status updates on Facebook accounts, tweets and blog posts are used to express oneself. Blogging, which started as a personal storytelling device, is now being used by businesses to market themselves and their products.
A blog is an internet site where a person or a group of persons record their point of view, beliefs, information, ideas, etc. regularly. The most favored blogging software is WordPress. It is a software program that people can use free of charge to construct and preserve a blog site or an internet website. Though WordPress started as just a blogging site, it has evolved into a complete content management system (CMS) through the various themes, devices and plug-ins. However, lately many security issues were revealed in the software. Just like people protect their homes, cars, etc. with alarm systems, online security is also equally important.
The most frequent security breaches that a WordPress blog faces are the following:
- Posting specially-designed HTTP message to one’s server with specifically developed viruses for definite hazards like obsolete softwares and plug-ins.
- Trying to obtain admission to one’s blog by trying to guess password.
Fortunately, WordPress tries to guarantee enhanced protection with each new edition and the easiest way to protect the WordPress website is to frequently update the software. While there are many ways by which a website can be secured, protecting one’s website from password hackers, requires an HTTPS SSL coded link to manage the internet site, so that all messages and susceptible information are coded.
SSL (Secure Sockets Layers) is an information security procedure generally employed to handle the safety of a message transmitted on the net, especially on websites dealing with ecommerce. Once SSL has been implemented, imposters and hackers will not be able to spy, interfere or copy the data even if they are able to enter the site. Hence most software developers consider SSL to be the ultimate solution in internet safety. Also, since no technical knowledge is required to install SSL, people with very little knowledge of technology can also install the SSL.
In order to effortlessly impose SSL in a WordPress web page the following steps should be taken:
- Two constants need to be outlined in one’s blog’s wp-config.php file. Outlining these constants in a plug-in file alone is not sufficient; they should be outlined in the wp-config.php file. Additionally, one should have SSL organized on the server and a virtual host organized for the protected server before one’s web site works correctly with these constants are set to true.
- The FORCE_SSL_LOGIN constant should be set to true on order to force all logins to occur over SSL. This should be positioned before in the file or else it will be ineffective.
- The FORCE_SSL_ADMIN constant should be set to true in order to force all admin sessions and logins to occur over SSL. This process is safer as it imposes SSL on both admin and login and hence both passwords and cookies are always sent in a secure manner.
Using the above mentioned instructions, one can impose SSL on any WordPress web page where one needs to submit personal information. And SSL would certainly safeguard your personal information. So just go ahead, secure your blog site with SSL and blog away without fear.
About Author: This guest post is brought to you by ALLAN GOLTZ of Charter.wedocable.com, a site that offers savings and current information on Charter Bundles and Charter TV .